You are here

Grants & Scholarships

The main sources of student support are Teaching Assistantships, Research Assistantships, and fellowships, which are described on the page for Assistantships & Fellowships

Additional small grants and scholarships are available in the biology department (see examples listed below) and from the campus-wide Graduate Student Organization.

Department of Biology Awards

Each year the Department of Biology offers the small grants and scholarships listed below; the application periods for these awards are usually announced by e-mail to biology graduate students.

Martial F. Billeaud, Sr. Endowed Scholarship
Richard Hoese and Richard Moore Award for Best Graduate Student Publication
Jay Huner Travel Support Award
Edmund B. Stueben Fund for Undergraduate and Graduate Student Research Support

The Rockefeller State Wildlife Scholarship

A competitive scholarship that awards $3000 annually for a graduate student pursuing a degree in forestry, wildlife or marine science at a Louisiana Public College or University. Eligibility:

  • Louisiana resident for at least one year prior to July 1st of the scholarship award year
  • Enrolled as a full-time undergraduate in a Louisiana Public College or University majoring in forestry, wildlife or marine science with the intent of obtaining a degree in that field
  • Must have at least a 3.0 cumulative college GPA on all credits earned in graduate school

Additional details can be found at the Louisiana Office of Student Financial Assistance website (search for "rockefeller"). To apply, complete the "ROCKEFELLER STATE WILDLIFE SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM APPLICATION"; instructions for submission are given on the application.  Deadline for receipt of the application by LOSFA is no later than July 1 immediately before the academic year you wish to be considered. If your Application is not received by the July 1 deadline, but is received by December 1, you may be eligible for the next spring semester, if funds are available. You must also have filed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).